ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Destinations / Itineraries Totally crazy! Minimum connection time varies by ticketing airline?!?!?!

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by SeattleTodd, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Hah, airlines aren't always rational (which sometimes works to our benefit, and is sometimes annoying). And computers are only as logical as the person who programmed them, so....could be a mistake, could be temporary, could be that these other airlines haven't updated their feeds to get the most current MCT (or have, but haven't pushed it to their website so the itinerary could still fail at the time of ticketing), or any number of other things.

For my personal sanity, when things are hardcoded like this, I try and just take the approach of "Hmmm. Interesting. Is what it is I guess." -- trying to justify some of these things can be maddening otherwise.

2. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Thanks, Tiffany. That's good advice. :)

I do have an update to share. So at midnight today (just 50 minutes ago) is when the flights I've wanted became bookable for next August. I was poking around on Alaska's site today checking availability for the same flights a day earlier, and guess what -- the less-than-2-hour connection times showed up in the search results once again -- on both Alaska and United. I got really excited and couldn't wait until I could ticket the flights I needed.

Well, right at midnight my SEA-DUB-EDI flights showed up in the search results with the 1hr45 minute connection (as opposed to 4hr connection) that I wanted. Proceeded to checkout and boom... ticketing failed. Tried again with a different credit card. Failed again. Tried the 4 hour connection for the heck of it -- and it worked. (I'm Alaska MVP Gold so no worries about making changes.)

I was too curious so I went over to United and tried to make the same booking with the 1hr 45 minute connection. (Figured I could just cancel within 24 hours) Got all the way through to checkout and boom... ticketing failed.

Soooooo... might this be progress and the minimum connection time is being updated but hasn't percolated through to all systems yet? Or did some old configuration make it into the search results to show the flights with less connection time?

Does this offer any clues to the experts? Why would both Alaska's and United's search results start including the flights with less than 2 hour connections, but then both airlines' systems fail on ticketing?

@Tiffany @OCTinPHL @MidSouth Skier @Gaurav

3. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

That doesn't surprise me at all, and tracks with what I mentioned in my earlier comment. The reservation systems and airline websites aren't always in sync, unfortunately.

4. SeattleTodd

SeattleTodd Member

Hello! In case anyone has been having sleepless nights wondering how this is playing out, I just wanted to let you know that the connection times appear to have fixed themselves and I'm now ticketed with my preferred, 1hr 45min connection time in DUB. :) The MCTs haven't been updated in Expert Flyer though....

Gaurav likes this.