ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

UA180 today from HKG to EWR

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by James Liu, Aug 17, 2019.

1. James Liu

James Liu Reader

hello, today’s (Aug 17) united flight 180 from Hong Kong to Newark had to return two hours after departure. Do you know what happened?

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

United website says: Your flight is canceled because your crew did not have sufficient off-duty/rest time required by federal law. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

3. OCTinPHL

OCTinPHL Active Member

Interesting - the flight took off, and then someone realized the crew had been / would be timed out?

4. David W

David W Well-Known Member

Was the flight delayed at all, or expecting delays enroute/at arrival?

A couple years ago my AA flight was cancelled due to weather, I rebooked on jetBlue, which was also delayed. Eventually we boarded, pushed back and got in line to take off but not too long after, we went back to the gate because the crew realized that the delayed departure, plus the wait to take off meant that the crew would time out halfway into the flight. The flight was cancelled because it was 1AM at this point.