ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

United Fare much higher if using flight credit

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Allie, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Allie

Allie Reader

United is claiming to waive change fees for Covid 19 travel but when I try to do so, I am charged so much more for the same flight than if I try to book without using my travel credit. This essentially makes it even significantly more expensive than being charged a waiver. Is United simply hiding the change fee in higher fares? Please help. I have the screen shots showing the price for 5 people is $491 if I try to book without the travel credit, but $2,791 if I try to use my prior flight credit. That is effectively a $461 change fee per person.

2. rickyw

rickyw Well-Known Member

Is the $491 price actually confirmed for 5 people? There may only be a limited number of tickets in whatever lower fare bucket that is, and when you try to book 5, you're pushed into a higher fare bucket?

MidSouth Skier likes this.