ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Upgrading Star Alliance using UA miles

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Rohit Deshpande, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Rohit Deshpande

Hey guys, couple questions:
    I'm planning on flying from LAX to Seoul 2 ways:

LAX-SFO-ICN on Premium plus ticket
    or
    LAX-TPE-ICN on Eva Elite Class ticket.

1. If I apply a mileage upgrade for the first option, (I think 30K miles + $550), what are the chances of the upgrade clearing soon/me being upgraded. also I'll be with my dad so if the upgrade can stick for both of us, what are the chances? Would be cool to visit both the SFO and LAX Polaris lounges.

2. I did not know that I could upgrade with miles flights of Star Alliance booked on other airlines through their websites. How good are chances for the Eva flight being upgraded if I apply the upgrade With UA miles. I know you have to be in the B, Y or K fare class to even attempt which I will be. I tried searching I space on expert flyer for EVA, though flyertalk reports have it that Eva upgrade space is actually Z class and not I class and that EF doesn't display it.

Thanks for the help in advance!!

2. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I'd call EVA and ask if there area any upgrades available before booking so that you could lock in in right away.

With your first option, at Ben's UA mile valuation of 1.4cpm, youre basically paying $970 to uprgade, on top of the original ticket cost. That's quite a bit. How much more is buying J directly?

3. Rohit Deshpande

Hi David, it was slightly north of $5K roundtrip which is why I'm trying this. Also I definitely do plan on calling eva to see if they have space. Usually for Star Alliance its "I" space to look for, but there have been reports all over FT that Eva upgrade space to ask the agents is actually "Z" space and ExpertFlyer doesn't display this space as per this thread:
    https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-alliance/1516958-buy-eva-air-ticket-upgrade-mileage-plus.html