ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!


Destinations / Itineraries Using 2 passports for US/Russia Trip Help

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Tara_L, Aug 31, 2018.

  1. Tara_L

    Tara_L Reader

    I am hoping to avoid the trouble and fee of getting a Russia visa. If anyone has any insight, it's really appreciated.
    I am in the US with a US passport and HK passport planning a trip to Russia. My HK passport is visa free for Russia. My first names are different in the two passports (due to different languages) so the name I book the flight with will only match one passport. If I book the flight in my HK passport name when I go through Russia customs, it'll match. But when I return to the US, will customs or airline not allow me on the flight with a different name on the US passport? I do have the document when I got naturalized of the name change.
    I am in a dilemma which name to book the flight under and if the only safe option is to get a Russia visa to avoid customs on either side not allowing to go through. Anyone has any experience utilizing two passports for a round trip?
  2. David W

    David W Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Are you sure your hk passport is still valid after becoming a US citizen?

    Your issue isn't two passports, it's different names in the passport. Had both passports had the same name you wouldn't have an issue.

    Can you enter the US with your hk passport?
  3. Owen

    Owen Member

    Likes Received:
    I’m a passenger service agent, your situation is very common with dual citizenship and mismatched names. In my opinion, you should book the ticket with your current US passport, and when entering Russia, provide your HK passport, along with the name change document you received when immigrating to the US
    rickyw likes this.