ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Waiting for an Avianca refund since *February*

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Sam Z, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Sam Z

Sam Z Member

I'm not sure if anyone has any tips on this but basically I bought a $1,100 ticket with Avianca from IAD-LIM via BOG for a trip last February. I cancelled in mid-Feb, and my ticket was refundable with a $175 cancellation fee (which I agreed to).
    Every month when I called Avianca they told me it would take a few more days. It's now nine months on, and when I called last week (although I don't like to do this, yelled for 10 mins straight) they gave me the same answer.
    Is there any legal action possible here? I'd ideally like to avoid an all out lawsuit but I don't think I'll ever get my money back as things stand, and $1K is enough to make it worth chasing.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I had award tickets booked with them for March, Just got my taxes and fees refund last week. Keep trying. You could also dispute with your card company.

MidSouth Skier likes this.
  3. MidSouth Skier

MidSouth Skier Well-Known Member

You could also write a polite, brief letter to the first contact on the list found on Chris Elliott's site:
    https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/avianca-airlines/

Wait a sufficient amount of time for a reply before escalating. But if Gaurav just got a refund last week maybe yours will be here for Christmas.