ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

What to do

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Exit row expert, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Had a problem with a gate agent over the attire I was wearing. I had sweat pants and a tshirt on. The first thing said was... I will let you on this plane but... She told me I need to have more respect for myself and the company. Turned to the other gate agent and asked Isnt there a dress code for first class? At this time people are lining up to get on plane, I feel like a bum. To finish she says from here on out I am to wear a button up shirt and khaki pants. Completely degraded by now. I'll mention now that my wife was working this flight. I walked on the plane and whispered in a nutshell what had happened. So she later came on the plane to do final count and as she was leaving looked at my wife and said I had to reprimand your husband. Everybody again heard this. Any thoughts?

2. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Hi, and welcome to OMAAT!

When you are flying on employee pass travel, most airlines require you to adhere to a company dress code. This is pretty standard -- some have rules in all cabins, or different rules for first versus economy, but it should be spelled out in the pass terms.

I'm sorry for your experience, but your wife should have explained the terms and rules for pass travel, or clarified them with her company if she was unsure. She could have her passes revoked if her pass riders aren't following the rules.

MidSouth Skier and rickyw like this.
  3. Exit row expert

Exit row expert New Member

Airline has no dress code. The first line in the dress code is there is no prescribed dress code

4. Gia

Gia Well-Known Member

In the future, I’d comply with the “unwritten” dress code rules. Why go through a potential hassle over a T-shirt and sweats? I’m the adult daughter of a former Flight Attendant and Air Traffic Controller and we flew a lot when I was a child and I recall only seeing my father in a tie and sport coat when we went on vacation and were flying on passes. Fortunately, things have changed and the dress code has loosened significantly. I agree with @Tiffany, you don’t want to mess with this and risk the potential fallout of losing future free passes.

5. David W

David W Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least some kind of de facto dress code for staff & their companions traveling on passes.

6. Tiffany

Tiffany One Mile At A Time

Okay, so let's look at the example of American, which I'm guessing might be the airline in question, since you used the phrase "prescribed dress code". If so, their full guidelines state (bolding mine):

For most of us, being comfortable in flight extends to the clothes we wear. American doesn’t have a prescribed dress code for our non-revenue guests. So, as long as your clothing is neat and clean and doesn’t offend or distract, you’re good to fly in any class (including premium cabins). If you’re looking for more specifics, here are a few:
    • When we say offensive or distractive, we mean you shouldn’t wear anything that’s overly revealing (like super short shorts or something that is sheer or see through). That also extends to swimwear or sleepwear (of course it’s always okay to change into your American-provided pajamas if you’re lucky to snag a First Class seat on a premium international flight!)
    • It also means to avoid any attire that is vulgar or violates community standards of decency
    • When in doubt, ask yourself, “Do I blend in with customers?” If so, you’re probably set
    So while there isn't a "prescribed" dress code, there are still wardrobe requirements. If the gate agent felt your sweats looked more like sleepwear than daywear, that could have been the source of the issue.

Alternatively, they might not have been aware that the dress standards were updated in mid-2017 -- previously American didn’t allow shorts, beach footwear, jogging suits, athletic gear, or baseball caps in premium cabins.

Either way, it's probably something that your wife should seek clarification on before your next trip.

MidSouth Skier likes this.