ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Elite Status What's the go with AA "protected" flights?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by AussieJosh, Apr 1, 2015.

1. AussieJosh

AussieJosh Reader

Hey Ben,

What's the go with AA "protected" flights? I have an award ticket booked from LHR - MIA, a three hour stopover, then a paid ticket from MIA - SJO all on AA. It's my understanding that AA will 'protect' this layover and treat it as if I booked through from LHR - SJO if any irrops or misconnects happen. Does this happen automatically or is there something I need to do (like call them or fill out a form) to ensure the connection is protected?

Thanks!

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

@ AussieJosh -- It's not automatic, per se, but the point is that if you misconnect just see an agent and they should be willing to rebook you on the next flight. There's not really anything you can do in advance.