ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Inflight Experience / Seating When is it OK to ignore the fasten seatbelt sign?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by kyokonyama, Jul 7, 2015.

1. kyokonyama

kyokonyama New Member

Hi Lucky,

I normally fly on BA/QR but recently did a NRT-LAX return on AA. I noticed that the fasten seatbelt sign went off after about 15 minutes then after the slightest bit of turbulence it went back on and then it stayed on for the entirety of the flight... another 8 hours...., so obviously it ends up that everyone just ignores it and gets up to go to the bathroom, retrieve items from the overhead locker etc. I thought this may have been a one off but on the return flight an almost identical situation happened (except in this case it went off a bit more, but was definitely on more than off). So why is this? Are FAA regulations different to the CAA? And what is the etiquette for people to ignore the seatbelts sign? I once was on a very bumpy Air France flight from Paris to Algiers and the cabin crew were very strict that the seatbelt sign be followed, this culminated in a family with a child of 4-5 years resorting to using a plastic drinks cup as a urine receptacle, the crew member's face when this was handed to her (full to the top) was quite a picture.