ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Credit Cards Which Chase card to get?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Matthew Herbst, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Matthew Herbst

Matthew Herbst New Member

I have one card left before I hit the 5/24 Chase rule, so I figure I might as well get a Chase card. I currently don't have any. Which should I get? I think I'm preferring a hotel/flexible points card, since I do very little domestic travel and thus the Southwest card isn't super appealing to me over the others.

What I know about:
    • Sapphire Preferred (50k)
    • The IHG card (known current offer: 70k + 7.5k)
    • The Marriott card (known current offer: 80k + 7.5k)
    • The Hyatt card (known current offer: 2 free nights any category)
    I'm leaning towards the IHG card. It would be a struggle for me to spend $4k in 3 months for the Sapphire, and the IHG free night is not category restricted the way the Marriott free night is.

Is there something better (or better offers for the above)?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

I would check Doctor of Credit's post about which cards are 5/24 covered. I don't think the IHG is currently on that list so might be worth it to hold off. I would focus on the Sapphire preferred. If you have a tough time spending $4k in three months there are plenty of suggestions on how to increase your spend at a relatively minimal cost.

Tiffany likes this.
  3. Matthew Herbst

4. Gaurav

Gaurav Well-Known Member

Tiffany likes this.
  5. PhatMiles

PhatMiles Active Member

How about checking on the latest UA 70K+5K offer. If you are targeted I think that is sweet number to score.

6. Matthew Herbst

@Gaurav thanks! Based on that post it seems I should get the Marriott card, since the post claims IHG and Hyatt aren't restricted by 5/24 (yet).

@PhatMiles unfortunately I wasn't targeted for that offer - they gave me a targeted offer of only 35k through that link :(