ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Which domestic AA flights earn AS miles? Or how to tell?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by Rohit Deshpande, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Rohit Deshpande

hey guys so the question says it all pretty much but how can I know this? I have an AA flight from ORD To SFO and I’d rather collect AS miles rather than AA miles off it so is there any way of knowing which domestic AA flights earn AS miles? Thanks again!

2. Steve from LA

Steve from LA Member

From AS website:

:
    New as of January 1, 2018:

• American Airlines domestic flights with an "AA" flight number will no longer earn Mileage Plan miles.
    • You'll no longer receive elite benefits when traveling on American Airlines.

For domestic flights
    To earn Mileage Plan miles on flights within the United States and Puerto Rico, American-operated flights must be marketed by Alaska Airlines. This includes American Airlines operated flights purchased as Alaska Airlines flights (AS) 4000-4799, 6000-6999, 8001-8199, or 8201-8999.

I take the last statement to mean that as long as you purchase from AS then you can get AS miles even if the flight is operated by AA.

3. David W

David W Well-Known Member

You have to purchase from Alaska with an AS codeshare flight number, which earns via the Alaska chart. Otherwise, you earn zero. Of course, it's damn near impossible to buy an AS codeshare AA flight, even if it's to destinations not served by AS at all.

They have a limited partnership but you'd think they allow you to earn on AA flights to destinations not served by AS

4. Rohit Deshpande

Ok so it HAS TO be bought directly from Alaska’s website. Makes sense. Only fligjt around where i live that has eligible codeshare is SNA-ORD flights and LAX-RDU flights .

5. Steve from LA

Steve from LA Member

I recently booked a roundtrip flight LAX-MSY on AS that is operated by AA. 2 drawbacks: 1) slightly more expensive than booking directly from AA; and 2) no AS elite benefits (i.e. luggage must be paid for, no boarding priority, etc). Not sure I would do it again. Doesn't seem worth the 3,340 miles.

6. Steve from LA

Steve from LA Member

I am positive I would not do it again. Flew back into LAX Wednesday night. After spending an extra 20 minutes in the air we finally landed only to stall on the ground for another 40 minutes. Finally the captain confesses that they are repaving terminal 4 and we will be offloading remotely. We would be bused to the terminal. What? He didn't know this before we left MSY? Before we landed? Before we killed 40 minutes waiting for a place to open up in the remote location?

As we were finally deplaning I heard several people asking the attendants if they could catch a bus directly to terminal 5 as their connecting flights were leaving very soon. Yeah I know, not very likely. But the only response they got was "there is one bus, good bye have a good night." The I don't give a crap attitude of the American staff was unacceptable.

30 minutes and three baggage carousel changes later I finally caught the bus to the parking lot. That was a 1 and a half hour delay mostly on the ground after landing. I know things happen, but American knew these things were going to happen before the flight left MSY. They didn't have the deceny to say anything or to take any steps to try to minimize the situation. Not work getting the AS miles. Next time I will fly AS with a connector.