ASK LUCKY (and each other)

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

Anyone can post a question, but you'll get the most benefit from registering to join our forum. You'll be able to see when your question is answered, and like comments from other users.

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so feel free to jump in and share tips!

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Ben

Award Redemption Worst USDM agent ever?

Discussion in 'questions. answers. conversations.' started by aussiejosh, Jun 29, 2015.

1. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Member

So I had a bit of a problem earlier tonight and I'm looking for any tips.

I have a USDM award which just keeps giving me grief. I am booked on an award itinerary, part of which is an AA operated flight from LHR - MIA. I have a separate revenue ticket from MIA - SJO.

I just got an alert that there was a schedule change on my AA LHR-MIA flight such that it now arrives three hours later, and I miss my connection to SJO.

So I called the AA help line, and they transferred me to an ex-USDM call centre.

I asked the guy if I could just be put onto the BA flight that left the same time as the original AA flight, and he said there was 'no award space available', and that regardless it would cost me a lot because I would have to pay BA taxes. So I guess my questions are:

1. I thought oneworld - oneworld separate itinereraries are 'protected,' so to speak, in the case of schedule changes, am I correct?

2. Did the ex-USDM guy know at all what he was talking about? Surely I shouldn't have to pay more tax due to the schedule change?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Lucky

Lucky One Mile At A Time

Great question, aussiejosh. If it's alright, let me go ahead and answer it on the main page of the blog, since I think a lot of people are confused about a similar topic. Thanks!